Facebook Twitter Linked In
Los Angeles Domestic Partnership Attorney 877.362.3176
Los Angeles Domestic Partnership Lawyer Firm Overview Attorney Profiles Contact Us
The firm is dedicated to providing relentless protection of clients’ rights Learn how the firm can assist you and your partner in the adoption process Learn more about violence in domestic partnerships
Areas of Practice Domestic Partnership
Cohabitation Agreements
Custody / Visitation
Dissolution of Domestic Partnership
Domestic Partner Adoption
Estate Planning for Domestic Partners
Legal Separation of Domestic Partners
Nullity of Domestic Partnership
Registration of Domestic Partnership
Same Sex Domestic Violence
Termination of Domestic Partnership

Termination of Domestic Partnership

California Domestic Partnership Lawyers

If you have entered into a domestic partnership with a person but are now interested in terminating that partnership, a Los Angeles family law attorney from Claery & Hammond, LLP our firm can help you. Our lawyers represent same sex couples during all different types of family legal matters, including domestic partnership termination. There is no easy way to tell your partner that you want to officially end your relationship, but there is an easy way to handle the legal aspects of this process.

Get a free consultation by calling 877.362.3176 today.

Explore Your Termination Options

There are two different ways a domestic partnership can be terminated in California. In the first method, if specific requirements are met, a domestic partnership may be terminated by filing a Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership with the California Secretary of State. This can be viewed similarly to someone filing for an uncontested divorce from their spouse or same sex spouse.

The following requirements must be met in order for the partnership to be terminated with a notice:

  • Domestic partnership lasted less than 5 years.
  • No children born before or during the domestic partnership.
  • No children adopted during the domestic partnership.
  • Neither you nor your partner is pregnant.
  • You and your partner do not have any interest in real estate.
  • Neither you nor your partner is renting any land or building.
  • Except for automobile loans, your community obligations do not exceed $5,000.
  • Except for automobiles, your community property is worth less than $33,000.
  • Except for automobiles, neither you nor your partner has separate property totaling more than $33,000.
  • Both of you agree that you do not want money or support from the other partner except what is included in the property settlement agreement dividing the community property and community obligations.
  • You or your partner must have lived in California for the last 6 months.

If any of these requirements cannot be met, a California same sex advocacy attorney will help you take the necessary actions to file with the Superior Court. This will entail altogether different legal requirements.

One of the following three petitions can be used if a notice is not an option:

  1. Petition for Dissolution of Domestic Partnership
  2. Petition for Judgment of Nullity of Domestic Partnership
  3. Petition for Legal Separation of Domestic Partnership

Deciding upon which petition to file could require the help of a California domestic partnership lawyer from our firm. With years of experience under our belts focused primarily on the family law needs of same sex couples in California, you can be confident in our ability to guide you to the right solution with as little stress on your shoulders as possible.

Let's discuss your options. Contact our office today.

Send Us An Email
Facebook Twitter Linked In