Registration of Domestic Partnership
At Claery & Green, we provide legal representation to same sex couples throughout California looking to enter into a domestic partnership. Unlike traditional married couples, gay and lesbian couples are required to take legal action to enjoy the full rights and protections of California law. California does not recognize common law marriage, so if you live with your same sex partner you must take legal action to receive full protection under the law. Taking these steps may also benefit your relationship with your same sex partner by clearly spelling out your commitment to each other.
If you and your partner are interested in taking a step to protect your legal rights as a couple by registering to become domestic partners, you should speak with an attorney at Claery & Green. Our family lawyers have experience handling a variety of legal issues faced specifically by same sex couples, including domestic partnership, and will work hard to get you and your partner the results you seek. Same sex advocacy is something our attorneys feel very strongly about, and a lawyer from our firm will handle your case in a sensitive and effective manner to achieve optimal results for your specific situation.
Domestic partner registration is a fairly recent development which allows for gay and lesbian couples to enjoy many of the same benefits as married couples. Due to the fact that same sex marriages are not recognized by most states within the U.S., including California, there is no method by which to measure the relationship between gay and lesbian couples or the families they create. Domestic partnership is a way for a same sex couple to declare their relationship with the purpose of obtaining certain benefits that heterosexual couples enjoy. Domestic partner registration itself provides no status or direct benefits, but by having this legal means of recognition, certain businesses and companies may offer up more benefits to the couple.
Experienced & Dedicated Domestic Partnership Attorneys
Under California law, domestic partner registration is for same sex couples 18 or older who are not related by blood or marriage, who must live together and accept all responsibility for each other’s living expenses. The benefits of domestic partner registration are as follows:
- Registry can be used as an affidavit of partnership by the California Public Employees Retirement System to extend health coverage to a member’s partner.
- Registry allows for hospital visitation and medical decisions in certain situations where one partner is incapacitated.
- A partner to sue for the wrongful death of the other partner.
- One partner can legally adopt the other’s child.
- Property can bb willed from one partner to the other.
- An individual can relocate with a domestic partner without losing unemployment benefits.
- A domestic partner may use sick leave to care for the other’s family.
- A domestic partner can administer the other partner’s estate.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of domestic partner registration, contact a California domestic partnership lawyer at Claery & Green!